If I have to drop a class, what is the refund policy?
Do I have to be formally admitted to the University to take these classes?
How do I register?
Will Academic Noncredit courses appear on my transcript?
What are Academic Programs?
Where are classes offered?
Where are the Sandy, Murray, Bountiful and Downtown SLC sites located? What are the hours?
Where do I park for my class?
Can I earn CEUs for attending this course?
Are University employees eligible for tuition reduction on Academic Noncredit classes?
Can I get a University identification card and/or library card through Continuing Education?
How can I get a printed catalog?
Who can I call for (or where can I get...) the absolute latest information?
To drop a class, contact the Registration Office in Continuing Education at (801) 581-7155, or visit 1185 Annex. For specific drop and withdrawal deadlines, check the Academic Calendar.
To view Continuing Education's drop and refund policy, follow this link.
No, students may register for Academic Noncredit courses without formal admission to the University of Utah.
Online: Register online using our shopping cart system.
In Person: Register in person at the Registration Office in Continuing Education, 1185 Annex Bldg.
Phone: Register by phone by calling 801-581-7155.
Yes. Academic Noncredit classes do appear on your official University transcript. It will show that you enrolled in the course, but without a grade or credit hours.
The Academic Programs office is part of Continuing Education at the University of Utah. Our mission is to provide noncredit learning opportunities for University community members. Students can "sit in and enjoy" traditional University classes for a minimal fee through our "Academic Noncredit" class option. Students are allowed to register on a "seat available" basis and do not need to take exams or write papers. Further, students do not receive credit or a grade for these classes. These classes are designed to be just for the fun of it.
Please see our Campus Locations page for maps, office hours, and courses offered at each location.
At the University of Utah sites in Bountiful, Murray, and Sandy there is ample free parking.
When parking on campus, students have several options. Please visit the Commuter Services website for the office address and details:
- Free Parking: All "U" and "E" lots on campus (unless the stall is marked reserved) are available for free after 6pm daily and all day Saturday and Sunday. Parking is never allowed "A" lots without a permit.
- Daily Parking Pass: If you are visiting the University for only one or two days, a day pass may be your best option. It can be purchased on the day you wish to use it or bought in advance. It allows a visitor to park on campus for one day in "T," "A," "U," or "E" lots. The cost per day depends on where you wish to park. It is not valid at meters or in pay lots.
Day passes are available at Commuter Services (in the west end of the Annex, Room 101) or at pay lot booths. A day pass must display the date of the day it is being used in order to be valid. Call Parking Services at 801-581-6415 for further assistance.
You can also purchase a day pass from a machine in the northeast corner in the West Stadium Lot. However, it is good for parking in the West Stadium Lot only. Cost is $3 before noon and $1 thereafter. This rate does not apply to other day passes and is good in the West Stadium lot only.
At the University's downtown SLC location, there is a parking lot directly west of the building. Access to this lot is from 400 South. A pass is required to park in this lot, view the available options below:
- If you have a current U of U parking pass (A,U,E), you will not be charged to park at our downtown location during your scheduled class time. A U of U parking pass will allow parking in any unreserved space in the surface-level parking lot directly west of the Chamber of Commerce building. A U of U parking pass does not waive applicable parking fees during non-scheduled class times.
- If you do not have a U of U parking pass, you may purchase
from the building administration:
— a $5 one-evening pass or
— a $20 semester-length evening pass
- These passes allow students to park at our downtown site during their scheduled class time, in any unreserved space in the surface-level parking lot directly west of the Chamber of Commerce building. These passes do not waive applicable parking fees during non-scheduled class times.
- Students can purchase a downtown-parking pass from the parking lot booth using check or credit card during the first week of class.
No, we do not issue CEUs (Continuing Education Units) for Academic Noncredit courses. Your transcript shows your enrollment in the course. Then, you will need to work with your professional organization to receive the CEU credit.
Yes, after completion of six months full-time eligible employment (eligibility requirements must be met by the official first day of the regular semester in which classes are to be taken) employees may receive 50% off tuition for credit classes, as well as non-credit classes offered through Continuing Education.
This benefit extends to an employee's spouse after an employee has worked full-time for one year, and unmarried dependent children under age 26 after completion of three years full-time continuous employment.
To use this benefit, eligible employees must fill-out The University of Utah's Application for Reduced Tuition, available through the Human Resources department or online at www.hr.utah.edu/forms/lib/TuitionReduction.pdf (note that this is a PDF file). Once completed, submit this form to the Benefits Department located at 420 Wakara Way STE 105, or fax it to (801) 585-7375.
Employees must fill out one form for each term in which they want to take classes; the form does not carry over from term to term. Special fees attached to a class are not included in tuition reduction and must be paid in full. Please contact Continuing Education at 801-581-6461 for clarification of class tuition and special fees if needed.
Please call 801-581-2273, or visit the UCard website, for specific information about University of Utah ID cards.
For an Academic Noncredit catalog, you may download a PDF version here. If you would rather have us mail you one, please fill out our web form, or call 801-585-9963 and we'll mail it to you. Catalogs are also available for pick up at many of the community libraries and the University's off-campus locations in Sandy, Bountiful, Downtown Salt Lake City, or Murray.
Call us at 801-585-9963.