Social media
Contact information
English Language Institute at the University of Utah

1901 E. South Campus Dr., #2202, Salt Lake City, UT 84112

Send feedback

General website comment/question





English Language Institute Visa Information

Apply for Your F-1 (Student) Visa

Once you have received the I-20 form, you will need to apply for your F-1 (student) visa at the American Consulate in your country before coming to the U.S. 
To apply for F-1 (student) visa, first go to - for useful information.
For locations of U.S. Consulates and Embassies, visit
Processing of the F-1 visa may take days or weeks, depending upon your area. Allow enough time for this process. Find out visa wait time at

Required documents:

  1. Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students.
  2. Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160
  3. Your passport that is valid for at least six months after your arrival into the United States.
  4. One (1) 2x2 photograph. See Nonimmigrant Visa photograph requirements at
  5. A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee.
  6. The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. To pay this fee, log on to

You should be prepared to provide:

  1. Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  2. Scores from standardized tests such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
  3. Financial evidence showing that you or your sponsor can fully cover your tuition and living expenses while studying in the U.S.
  4. Proof that you plan to return home after completing your studies. The Consulate wants you to show your economic ties to your country.

If your visa is denied, visit for more information.

For more information, call 801-581-4600 or submit your questions by using our online form