Frequently Asked Questions
Academic Noncredit Programs

Click the tabs below to reveal the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.

See the Academic Calendar for specific drop and withdrawal dates. Students will receive a full refund if the class is dropped prior to the “last day to drop” deadline. To drop an academic noncredit class, submit a drop request or call 801-581-6461.

No, students may register for Academic Noncredit courses without formal admission to the University of Utah. Students must be 18 or over to enroll.

Online: Register online at
In Person: Register in person at the Registration Office in Continuing Education, 540 Arapeen Drive (Research Park).
Phone: Register by phone by calling 801-581-6461.

Yes. Academic Noncredit classes do appear on your official University transcript. It will show that you enrolled in the course, but without a grade or credit hours.

We provide community members, faculty/staff, and students noncredit opportunities to sit in and learn in a regular University course. Students can take classes without being admitted to the U at a fraction of the cost, typically around 30% of the U’s regular tuition rates. Students can learn without the stress of grades.

Classes are offered at the main University of Utah campus, as well as an off-campus location in Sandy. There are also other locations specific to a class.

The Sandy Center is located at One Sandy Center, 10011 Centennial Parkway, Suite 100, Sandy, UT. Please see our Campus Locations page for maps, office hours, and courses offered at each location.

See our Parking for Classes page for the latest information about parking for your class on campus. You may also visit the Commuter Services website, call 801-581-6415, or stop by in person at our building at 540 Arapeen Drive (Research Park).

Parking is free at the University's off-campus site in Sandy.

The University of Utah provides contact hours for its courses. Many national, state, and local licensing boards and professional organizations will grant continuing education credit for attendance in a noncredit class upon receipt of your transcript and/or the course outline. Please contact your licensing board or organization to find out requirement details.

The University offers 50% tuition reduction for eligible employees and their families. Applicants must meet tuition reduction eligibility rules before the first day of the semester and must continue to be eligible on the first day of the semester. Applications for Tuition Reduction are due prior to the first day of each semester. Applications are not allowed once the semester begins. Tuition must be paid in full (including any credits that may be applied) by the tuition due date or classes will be dropped..

To use this benefit, eligible employees must apply online for Tuition Reduction.

Employees must apply for each term in which they want to take classes; the form does not carry over from term to term. Special fees attached to a class are not included in tuition reduction and must be paid in full. Please contact Continuing Education at 801-581-6461 for clarification of class tuition and special fees if needed.

Please call 801-581-2273, or visit the UCard website, for specific information about University of Utah ID cards.

You may download the PDF version of an Academic Noncredit catalog. If you would rather have us mail you one, please fill out our catalog web form, or call 801-585-9963 and we'll mail it to you. Catalogs are also available for pick up at many of the community libraries and the University's off-campus location in Sandy.

Email, call 801-585-9963, or submit your questions using this online contact form.

download catalog