Frequently Asked Questions
Academic Credit Programs

What You Need to Know

You cannot register for credit classes from the Continuing Education website. Register for credit classes using the Campus Information System (CIS).

Students may drop (delete) classes during the first ten calendar days of the term with no tuition penalty. Beginning the eleventh calendar day and continuing through the midpoint students may withdraw from a class or the University without instructor/department permission. A "W" grade is recorded on the transcript and appropriate tuition and fees are assessed.

To drop a class, login to CIS (Campus Information System, or contact the Registrar's Office at 801-581-8969 or visit 250 SSB. For specific drop and withdrawal deadlines, check the Academic Calendar.

For refund information, refer to the Income Accounting and Student Loan Services Offices.

Students may register for credit courses after admission to the University as either a matriculated or non-matriculated student. You can learn more about the application process and deadlines by referring to the Admissions Office website.

If you are planning to attend summer term only, the University offers a Summer Only Non-Matriculated status for students who are enrolled at another university or college and want to take classes to be transferred back to their institutions. For more information, visit the Non-Matriculated Student page.

When the admission process is complete, students may register for credit courses online using the Campus Information System. You can log into the system using your UNID and password. If you help logging in, contact University Information Technology.

The office of Academic Programs is part of Continuing Education at the University of Utah. Our mission is to provide learning opportunities for University students close to home in their own local communities. We offer a variety of courses at the University's off-campus site in Sandy.

Classes are offered at the University's off-campus location in Sandy.

Please see our Sandy Center page for maps, office hours, and courses offered.

Classes can be viewed by location (Sandy) or by subject on the Continuing Education website. You can also view all Academic Credit classes on the University's class schedule. Classes can be viewed by location by selecting the desired semester, following the link to "Off Campus," and selecting the location where you are interested in taking classes.

Yes. Grades earned in credit classes become part of your official University transcript.

For tuition information and rate schedules, refer to the Income Accounting and Student Loan Services Offices.

Financial aid may be available to help you pay for these classes. For more information, call the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at 801-585-6211.

Many credit courses are also offered noncredit at a reduced tuition rate. Students can "sit in and enjoy" traditional University classes for a minimal fee through its "Academic Noncredit" class option. Students are allowed to register on a "seat available" basis and do not need to take exams or write papers. Further, students do not receive credit or a grade for these classes. These classes are designed to be just for the fun of it.

If you are interested, please check the class listings in our Academic Noncredit Courses. If you don't see the class you're looking for, call us at 801-585-9963 and we may be able to add it for you!

Yes, after completion of six months full-time eligible employment (eligibility requirements must be met by the official first day of the regular semester in which classes are to be taken) employees may receive 50% off tuition for credit classes. This benefit extends to an employee's spouse after an employee has worked full-time for one year, and unmarried dependent children under age 26 after completion of three years full-time continuous employment.

To use this benefit, eligible employees must fill-out the Tuition Reduction Agreement Form, available through the Human Resources department or online at the HR Forms page. Once completed, submit this form to the Benefits Department located at 420 Wakara Way STE 105, or fax it to 801-585-7375.

Employees must fill out one form for each term in which they want to take classes; the form does not carry over from term to term. Special fees attached to a class are not included in tuition reduction and must be paid in full. Please contact Continuing Education at 801-581-6461 for clarification of class tuition and special fees if needed.

Yes. The program is called House Bill 60 and participants must meet the age 62 requirement to enroll. For more information, follow this link.

Students registered at the University of Utah are eligible to receive an identification card which entitles them to library and other privileges. Please visit the UCard Office online or call 801-581-2273.

At the University's off-campus site in Sandy, there is plenty of free parking.

Call us at 801-585-9963 or submit your questions by using our online form.