Come explore the universe and become an Astronomer for a week! During the day,
you'll go deep into learning about galaxies, stars, dark matter, black holes
and more! This camp will help shed some light on the so-called darkness of
the universe and delve into the physics of these objects. You'll attend
personal lectures from U of U astronomers and demos to help demonstrate the
physical properties of objects we can only see through a telescope. Speaking
of telescopes, each night you'll learn how to use the telescopes at the U's
own Observatory to see objects with your eye and take genuine data with
astronomical cameras and spectrographs. Best of all, you'll be able to help
run a public star party and show visitors some of the amazing things
Join the ranks of Sir Isaac Newton and Vera Rubin by exploring
the final frontier and go further than you've gone before.
Who Should Attend
- Future Astronomers, Physicists, Astronauts, Engineers, or any
student interested in learning about the field in general.
- Inquisitive high school students eager to explore future
majors and undergraduate research opportunities at the University of
What You Will Learn
- Learn about the cosmos through hands-on experiential learning
- Use telescopes, cameras, and spectrographs to gather data and
analyze the cosmos like astronomers do.
- Build an apparatus to observe alpha particles and explore the
mysteries of the highest energy particles ever observed.
- Learn techniques used by the Telescope Array Cosmic Ray
- Study with scientists who are working on the largest cosmic
ray observatory in the northern hemisphere.
- Attend in-depth lectures about galaxies, stars, and dark
matter with exciting demos from U of U astronomers.
Co-sponsored with the Department of Physics & Astronomy.
Field Trip to Stansbury Park Observatory Complex
We'll kick off the start of camp by showing you the universe you're about
to explore! Experience a night with the Salt Lake Astronomical
Society at the Stansbury Park Observatory Complex, where the skies
are dark enough to see details in galaxies and nebulae yet close
enough for easy travel.
Start Your College Adventure!
Need a staycation from the family and want to experience the dorm life?
Join Youth Education this summer for an epic college experience. Spend a
week staying on campus meeting new friends, exploring future majors and
careers, and network with U of U faculty and students. In your downtime,
campus is your playground Ã¢â‚¬â€œ dine at the Union and Heritage Center, roast
marshmallows at LassondeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s fire pit, and hangout with your new friends. By
the end of camp, the University of Utah will feel like home.
Benefits of Living on Campus
- Take your first step to independence and ease your way into
- Experience living with a diverse group of students that will
expand your social knowledge outside the classroom.
- Develop a sense of community and belonging, and start shaping
your connection with the University of Utah.
- Make friends, set academic goals and start planning your college
Where You Will Be Staying
Lassonde Studios, the newest and most innovative students housing on campus.
Want to check out the space?
Take a Virtual Tour